*Last updated 13th December 2018*
** Thank you for interest in this competition, it's now closed. The lucky winner, Kat Noll from the US, has now been chosen and notified!
The two runners up have also been notified:
Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications at 240 Blackfriars Road, London, UK SE18NW (“Lonely Planet”) is the promoter. Our friends over at Booking.com B.V. of Herengracht 597, 1017 CE Amsterdam, Netherlands (“Booking.com”), WorldNomads.com Pty Limited of Level 18, 1 Farrer Place, Sydney, NSW 2000 Australia (“World Nomads”) and Viator, Inc. of 360 3rd Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA (“Viator”) are together referred to as the “Promotional Partners”.
2. You can enter between 12:01 BST on 23 October 2018 (“Opening Date”) AND 23:59 on 30 November 2018 BST (“Closing Date”).
3. This competition is open globally to people aged 18 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Lonely Planet, its promotional partners, or subsidiaries or parent or affiliated companies. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel#competition, so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of England.
7. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition.
8. You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted.
9. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Instagram, and you completely release Instagram from any claims in relation to this competition.
How to enter and prize details:
10. To enter, go to lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel#competition, complete the entry form and tell us in 25 words or less why you’d like to experience Lonely Planet’s 'Best in Travel 2019' top city, Copenhagen. You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
11. You can only enter once - we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
12. One (1) first prize winner will receive, the following:
a) one (1) x trip for two (2) adults (winner and guest) to Copenhagen in Denmark, including:
● one (1) x FlightGiftCard voucher, up to the maximum value of $3,000.00 USD towards return economy flights for (2) adults to/from Copenhagen (approximate RRP $3,000.00 USD – provided by Lonely Planet);
● one (1) x Booking.com voucher, up to the maximum value of $2,000.00 USD towards accommodation payable by credit card for (2) adults in Copenhagen (approximate RRP $2,000.00 USD – provided by Booking.com);
● one (1) x Viator.com voucher, up to the maximum value of $1,000.00 USD towards bookable activities/tours for (2) adults in Copenhagen (approximate RRP $1,000.00 USD – provided by Viator);
● one (1) x optional World Nomads.com Explorer plan travel insurance policy for a maximum of 2-weeks, for (2) adults in Copenhagen, subject to meeting World Nomads’ eligibility criteria. To claim, winner must purchase one (1) x Explorer plan travel insurance policy via World Nomads.com in winner and guest names and, on receipt of a valid proof of purchase, World Nomads will reimburse the full cost to the winner. The travel insurance policy from World Nomads will be issued subject to the applicant’s meeting eligibility criteria and subject to the policy’s terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. If the winner and guest are not eligible for travel insurance through World Nomads, winner can obtain equivalent travel insurance to be reimbursed by World Nomads. (The premium value will vary depending on country of residence - provided by World Nomads.)
Winner and guest must travel on the same itinerary between 1 January and 31 December 2019.
b) one (1) x each of the following Lonely Planet travel guides:
· Pocket Copenhagen, 4th edn. (approximate RRP $13.99 USD – provided by Lonely Planet); and
· Best in Travel, 14th edn. (approximate RRP $14.99 USD – provided by Lonely Planet).
Total maximum prize value (excluding the travel insurance policy) is approximately $6,028.98 USD. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
13. Two (2) runner up prize winners will each receive a book bundle including:
· one (1) x Lonely Planet Travel Atlas (1st edition) book, RRP $50.00 USD and one (1) x Lonely Planet Best in Travel (14th edition) book, RRP $14.99 USD
Total maximum runner-up prize value is approximately $129.98 USD. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
14. Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected by a panel of 2 judges who will review all eligible entries and, form a shortlist of 10 entries, then decide the best overall winner and the two runner-up winners.
15. The task of selecting the winner(s) will happen in a small, dark room at Lonely Planet Publications, 240 Blackfriars Road, London, UK SE1 8NW, United Kingdom.
16. We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
17. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by 17 December 2018, the next best entry will be declared winner announced (subject to regulatory approval). Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Lonely Planet’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
If you do win:
18. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
19. You can’t exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
20. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance, any additional meals, any extra sightseeing or activities, any additional accommodation, personal spending money, passports, travel visas required, any other transport as required to and from departure point, single supplement and all other ancillary costs, and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description above.
21. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
22. You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use including
● Flightgiftcard’s terms, here: https://www.flightgiftcard.com/terms-conditions/
● Booking.com’s terms, here: https://www.booking.com/content/terms.en-gb.html
● Viator’s terms, here: https://www.viator.com/support/termsAndConditions;
● World Nomad’s terms, here: https://www.worldnomads.com/terms-of-use
Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
23. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet and the Promotional Partners are not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
24. You give Lonely Planet a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, in relation to Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2019 competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
25. Lonely Planet and its promotional partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our promotional partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too). If you win a prize, Lonely Planet can use your name and photograph (if provided) for future marketing purposes unless you tell us not to.