Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications Pty Limited (ABN 36 005 607 983) of The Malt Store, Level 3, 551 Swanston Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia (“Lonely Planet”) is the promotor. Our friends over at G Adventures Pty Ltd. of Level 3, 28 Clarendon Street, Southbank, VIC 3006, Australia (G Adventures) and TourRadar at 909 Queen St E #202 Toronto M4M 1J4, Canada (TourRadar) are the promotional partners.
2. You can enter between 22 October 2019, 08:01am AEDT (“Opening Date”) AND 11 December 2019, 03:01am AEDT (“Closing Date”).
3. This competition is open globally to people aged 18 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Lonely Planet, its promotional partners, or subsidiaries or parent or affiliated companies. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page https://www.lonelyplanet.com/campaigns/best-in-travel-2020-competition so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of Australia.
7. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook or Instagram, and you completely release Facebook or Instagram from any claims in relation to this competition.
8. You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted.
How to enter and prize details
9. To enter, go to https://www.lonelyplanet.com/campaigns/best-in-travel-2020-competition, complete the entry form and tell us in 255 characters or less why you would like to experience the Central Asian Silk Road. You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
10. You can only enter once ‑ we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
11. One first prize winner will receive:
a. two places on G Adventures’ small-group tour “Best of Tajikistan and Uzbekistan” (Trip code: AWTU) to depart by Tuesday 15 Dec 2020 provided that a minimum of four paying passengers are confirmed on the tour. Winner must book by 31 July 2020 (valued at approximately AUD $5,498.00 including GST). See terms that apply under “If you do win” below; and
b. A AUD $4,000 G Adventures voucher to be user for flights (approximate retailer value AUD $4,000.00 – provided by TourRadar)
c. Two copies of Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2020 (approximate retail value AUD $55.98); and
d. Lonely Planet will arrange and pay for carbon offsetting for the winner’s flights up to a value of AUD $500.Total prize value is approximately AUD $10,053.98. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
12. Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected by a panel of 3 judges who will review all eligible entries and, from a shortlist of 10 entries, decide the best overall winner.
13. The task of selecting the winner(s) will happen in a small, dark room at The Malt Store, Level 3, 551 Swanston Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia, on 18 December 2019. No correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks.
14. We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
15. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by18 March 2020, the next best entry will be declared winner announced (subject to regulatory approval). Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Lonely Planet’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time. If you do win
16. The prize does not include optional or additional services that are not expressly included in the trip itinerary including pre or post-tour accommodation, “My Own Room” or “My Own Tent” accommodation options, insurance, amendments, incidentals, meals, gratuities, taxes, fees, levies, and transportation.
17. The G-Adventure tour:
a. is subject to availability
b. is valid on new bookings only
c. may not be combined with any other offer or discount
d. has no cash value, is not transferrable to another person
e. is not eligible for “Lifetime Deposit” nor “Guaranteed Departure,” and
f. cannot be exchanged by the Winner
18. Winner must contact G Adventures directly by phone and/or email to book their prize tour, and G Adventures must agree to the chosen departure dates and the prize may be substituted for a prize of comparable value by G Adventures’ in its sole discretion. Subjecting to licensing approval.
19. Winner must obtain medical insurance, at the cost of the Winner, in order to participate.
20. Prize is subject to the Winner agreeing to G Adventures’ booking terms and conditions, found here: http://gadventures.com/terms-conditions-policies/.
21. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
22. By entering this competition, and by collecting a prize, the winner acknowledges and accepts that travel and any other activities comprising the prize, are inherently dangerous and may result in death, injury, incapacity, damage to property or other losses. The Promoter is not responsible for any acts of god, such as adverse weather conditions or industrial action or civil commotion that may occur whilst the winner is travelling. It is the responsibility of the prize-winner to enquire about local issues and conditions at destinations prior to travel. The Promoter does not guarantee that the winner will enjoy the travel prize or be suited to the type of travel prize that is offered.
23. You can’t exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
24. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance visas, medical and/or travel insurances and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description.
25. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
26. You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use including the terms at https://www.gadventures.com/terms-conditions/. Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
27. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet is not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
28. You give Lonely Planet a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, in relation to the Best in Travel 2020 competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
29. Lonely Planet and its promotional partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our promotional partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too). If you win a prize, Lonely Planet can use your name and photograph for future marketing purposes unless you tell us not to.