From self-taught to worldwide fame, Chef Ana Roš brings a distinct flair to traditional Slovenian cuisine that has earned her numerous distinctions, including being named the best female chef in the world by the World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy.
Her restaurant Hiša Frako was also voted one of the 50 best restaurants in the world. To celebrate Slovenia's selection in Best in Travel 2022, we asked her all about Slovenia and what she loves most about her home in 22 rapid-fire questions.
1. What's one word would you use to describe Slovenia? Green.
2. What's your favorite restaurant in the country? Gostišče Grič in Šentjošt nad Horjulom.
4. Where do you go for coffee? Caffe Čokl in Ljubjana.
5. Where do you go to get your sweet treat? Kavarna Zvezda, they have the best potica [dough rolled around a filling, frequently walnut].
6. Where do you go for a weekend getaway? To Kras [the Karst Region in southwestern Slovenia]
7. What's your favorite view? From Kolovrat Mountain towards the Bay of Trieste.
8. Where do you go to learn something new? To the city.
9. Where do you go to be inspired? To nature.
10. Where do you go to enjoy the sun and fresh air? The fresh air in the mountains is always available. Somewhere along the Nadiža River or the Gorges of Logje [where you can] pretend no one is around and enjoy swimming naked and getting naked in the sun [surrounded by] pristine green waters and beautiful beaches.
11. What's your favorite drive? From Kobarid to Srednje or from Goriška Brda over Kolovrat Mountain.
12. What surprises you most about Slovenia? How wide and green it is.
13. What comforts you the most about Slovenia? The tranquility.
14. What's your favorite custom? To know how to party.
15. Where do you go to see art? There are a lot of beautiful small galleries in the old streets of Ljubljana.
16. Where do you go to listen to music? I listen to music at home but otherwise, the most beautiful concerts are at Križanke in Ljubljana.
17. Who's your favorite local musician? I think there are some great musicians, but Janez Dovč together with Boštjan Gombač are making the most beautiful interpretations of traditional Slovenian music.
18. What is worth splurging on? Sipping natural wines.
19. What's overrated? Sipping conventional wines.
20. Where do you always take visitors? To Domačija Klinec in Goriška Brda.
21. Where do you never go? To the caves. [The Karst region is riddled with subterranean caves, some of which you can visit.]
22. Who is the most interesting Slovenian historical or current? Matea Bendetti, the fashion designer
Slovenia is on our 2022 Best of Travel list. For more stories from some of the world’s most exciting destinations click here.
Safety recommendations and restrictions during a pandemic can change rapidly. Lonely Planet recommends that travelers always check with local authorities for up-to-date guidance before traveling during COVID-19.
Safety recommendations and restrictions during a pandemic can change rapidly. Lonely Planet recommends that travelers always check with local authorities for up-to-date guidance before traveling during Covid-19.