Avoiding Mosquito Bites
Travellers are advised to prevent mosquito bites by taking these steps:
- Use a DEET-containing insect repellent on exposed skin. Wash this off at night, as long as you are sleeping under a mosquito net. Natural repellents such as citronella can be effective, but must be applied more frequently than products containing DEET.
- Sleep under a mosquito net impregnated with permethrin.
- Choose accommodation with screens and fans (if not air-conditioned).
- Impregnate clothing with permethrin in high-risk areas.
- Wear long sleeves and trousers in light colours.
- Use mosquito coils.
- Spray your room with insect repellent before going out for your evening meal.
If you are going to an area where there is a malaria problem, consult with a clinic about the various prescription drugs you can use to reduce the odds that you'll get it.