On the north side of Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra is the town library. Occupying the cavernous interior of the 16th-century San Agustín church, this is the kind of library other libraries dream of imitating. There are oyster-shell skylights and a massive, colorful Juan O’Gorman mural on the rear wall that depicts the history of Michoacán from pre-Hispanic times to the 1910 revolution.

On the west side of the library, the Teatro Emperador Caltzontzin was a convent until it was converted into a theater in 1936; it functions today as an art-house cinema.