Chiesa di San Carlino alle Quattro Fontane

Church in Tridente, Trevi & the Quirinale

This tiny church is a masterpiece of Roman baroque. It was Borromini’s first church, and the play of convex and concave surfaces and the dome illuminated by hidden windows cleverly transform the small space into a place of light and beauty. The church, completed in 1641, stands at the intersection known as the Quattro Fontane, named after the late-16th-century fountains on its four corners, representing Fidelity, Strength and the rivers Arno and Tiber.

Borromini intended to be buried within the church, but its monks would not permit this because of his suicide.


Advertisement