Panagia Chrysaliniotissa

Church in Nicosia (Lefkosia)

The church of Panagia Chrysaliniotissa is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and its name means ‘Our Lady of the Golden Flax’ in Greek. It’s considered to be the oldest Byzantine church in Nicosia and was built in 1450 by Queen Helena Paleologos. It is renowned for its rich collection of old and rare icons.

Advertisement