Campbell’s Storehouses

Historic Building in Circular Quay & The Rocks

In 1839, Scottish merchant Robert Campbell started building a private wharf and this gingerbread-style row of 11 storehouses for his stash of tea, alcohol, sugar and fabric. Construction didn't finish until 1861, and a brick storey was added in 1890. Such storehouses were common into the early 20th century, but most have been demolished. These survivors sustain several pricey restaurants.

Advertisement