When to Go
High Season (Dec−Feb)
- Summertime: local holidays, busy beaches and cricket; wet season in the Top End.
- Prices rise 25% for big-city accommodation.
- Outdoor rock concerts, film screenings and food festivals abound.
Shoulder Season (Mar−May & Sep−Nov)
- Warm sun, clear skies, shorter queues.
- Easter (late March or early April) is busy with Aussie families on the loose.
- Autumn leaves are atmospheric in Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia.
Low Season (Jun−Aug)
- Cool rainy days down south; mild days and sunny skies up north.
- Low tourist numbers; attractions keep slightly shorter hours.
- Head for the desert, the tropical north or the snow.