When to Go
High Season (Dec−Feb)
- Summertime: wet season up north, bush fires in the south.
- Accommodation price rises, busy beaches.
- Festivals season: arts, food, film, music.
Shoulder (Mar−May & Sep−Nov)
- Warm sun, clear skies, cool nights.
- Coastal areas busy at Easter with families.
- Autumn colours are atmospheric in Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia.
Low Season (Jun−Aug)
- Cool wintery days down south; mild with sunny skies up north.
- Lower tourist numbers; some attractions keep slightly shorter hours.
- Head for the desert, the tropical north, or whale-watching spots.