Sicily for Tourists (www.regione.sicilia.it/turismo) Sicily's official online tourism portal.
Best of Sicily (www.bestofsicily.com) Comprehensive coverage of the island.
Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/sicily) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
- Time your visit Walking is best between April and May, and September and October. It gets busy, and hot, in high summer.
- The right kit Even when it's hot at lower altitudes, it's windy up top and temperatures can fall below freezing. Bring proper walking boots/shoes, a wind jacket, warm headgear and gloves. If you don't have your own, hire a kit at Rifugio Sapienza. In summer, pack sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and bottled water. If you wear contact lenses, bring glasses as there's usually dust swirling around.
- Get a map The best is Selca's 1:25,000 Mt Etna; otherwise use the free map from tourist offices.
- Mobile phone and compass If walking independently, a mobile phone is an excellent safety precaution, though it may not work in certain locations. Bring a compass too as fog isn't uncommon.
- Cash or card? The funivia ticket office accepts both.