Portuguese-Israelite Synagogue

Synagogue in Nieuwmarkt, Plantage & the Eastern Islands

With dizzying wooden barrel-vaulted ceilings, this was the largest synagogue in Europe when it was completed in 1675. It's still in use today, and has no electric light – after dark the candles in the vast chandeliers are lit for services. The large library belonging to the Ets Haim seminary is one of the oldest and most important Jewish book collections in Europe. Outside (near the entrance) stairs lead underground to the treasure chambers to see 16th-century manuscripts and gold-threaded tapestries.

Admission also provides entry to the Joods Cultureel Kwartier (Jewish Cultural Quarter) sites, including the Joods Historisch Museum.

The synagogue's architect, Elias Bouman, was inspired by the Temple of Solomon but the building's classical lines are typical of the Dutch capital. It was restored after WWII.


Advertisement