Parish Church of St John the Evangelist

Church in Black River

There has been a church on this spot since the early 1700s, though its current incarnation, built from yellow bricks shipped from England, was completed in 1837. Inside there are handsome mahogany pews, and a plaque dedicated to the 'heroism' of Major General Duncan Robertson who helped quell the 1831 slave rebellion. Notable graves around the church include that of Senator Edward Allen, the first member of Parliament from Black River.

Advertisement