Chapel of St Anthony

Church in Old Goa

The Chapel of St Anthony, dedicated to the saint of the Portuguese army and navy, was one of the earliest to be built in Goa, again on the directions of Afonso de Albuquerque in order to celebrate the assault on the city. Like the other institutions around it, St Anthony’s was abandoned in 1835 but was brought back into use at the end of the 19th century and is now partly in use as a convent.

Advertisement