Narodni trg

Square in Zadar

Image by Emanuele Ciccomartino / robertharding Getty Images

Traditionally the centre of public life, this pretty little square is constantly abuzz with chatter from its many cafe-bars. The western side is dominated by the late-Renaissance City Guard building, dating from 1562; the clock tower was added under the Austrian administration in 1798. Public proclamations and judgments were announced from the loggia opposite (1565), which is now an art-exhibition space.

Advertisement