Camaldolese Monastery

Monastery in Wigry National Park

Spectacularly located on a peninsula in the lake, in the village of Wigry, is this former Camaldolese monastery, built by the death-obsessed Camaldolese monks soon after they were brought to Wigry by King Jan II Kazimierz Waza in 1667. The whole complex, complete with a church and 17 hermitages, was originally on an island, which was later connected to the shore. It has now been turned into a hotel and restaurant, providing an atmospheric base for exploring the park.

Advertisement