There are ATMs in most towns; carry cash as backup. Mastercard and Visa are the most widely accepted credit cards.
- A service fee is often added to your bill at restaurants and hotels, in which case tipping is optional. Elsewhere, a tip is appreciated.
- Hotel bellboys and train/airport porters appreciate anything around ₹50; hotel staff should be given similar gratuities for services above and beyond the call of duty.
- It’s not mandatory to tip taxi or rickshaw drivers, but it’s good to tip drivers who are honest about the fare.
- If you hire a car with driver, a tip is recommended for good service.
- Baksheesh can loosely be defined as a ‘tip’; it covers everything from alms for beggars to bribes.
- Many Indians implore tourists not to hand out sweets, pens or money to children, as it encourages them to beg. To make a lasting difference, donate to a reputable school or charitable organisation.
- Except in fixed-price shops (such as government emporiums and fair-trade cooperatives), bargaining is the norm.