St Catherine’s Lutheran Church

Church in Võru

Dedicated to the early Christian martyr Catherine but named in honour of Tsarina Catherine the Great, Võru's main Lutheran church was completed in 1793, only nine years after the town was founded. The pyramid over the lintel is a symbol of the Holy Trinity. On the neighbouring square there's a granite monument to 17 locals who lost their lives in the 1994 Estonia ferry disaster.

Advertisement