- Temple Hotel Class and serenity in a beautifully restored, 250-year-old Buddhist temple complex.
- Great Wall Box House Lovingly renovated village hostel, with Great Wall remains running alongside it.
- City Walls Courtyard Fabulous location and a traditional courtyard to laze in.
- Courtyard 7 Ravishing courtyard hotel, oozing Qing dynasty charm.
- Opposite House Hotel So trendy it hurts; the city’s swankiest boutique hotel.
- Aman at Summer Palace Luxury on the fringes of the city.
- Beijing Drum Tower International Youth Hostel Superb views from the roof terrace.
- Běijīng Downtown Backpackers Great location. Great staff.
- Three-Legged Frog Hostel Good, honest cheapie with a friendly welcome.
- Nostalgia Hotel Trendy alternative to the youth hostels.
- Běijīng Feel Inn Understated hostel, hidden away in an imperial hútòng.
- Great Wall Box House Fabulous guesthouse right beside the Great Wall.
- Emperor Rooftop pool overlooking Tiān'ānmén Sq.
- Orchid The hipsters' hútòng hotel of choice.
- Graceland Yard A 500-year-old abandoned temple converted into a serene courtyard hotel.
- Courtyard 7 Qing dynasty residence transformed into one of the city's most charming hotels.
- Temple Hotel Luxury lodgings off a series of 250-year-old Buddhist-temple courtyards.
- Graceland Yard Smaller, more modest temple conversion with 500 years of history.
- Hulu Hotel Trendy new addition to the courtyard-hotel scene.
- Côté Cour Quality throughout, and with an artistic touch.
- Dragon King Hostel Historic building and central location.
- Běijīng Downtown Backpackers Nanluogu Xiang's first hostel…and still its best.
- Pagoda Light Stylish, laid-back hostel in a serene setting.
- Běijīng Feel Inn Tucked away discreetly; a stone's throw from the Forbidden City.
- City Walls Courtyard Wonderful nontouristy hútòng location.
- Beijing Drum Tower International Youth Hostel Capsule beds and a roof terrace with stunning views.
- Great Wall Box House Understated, friendly and literally touching the Great Wall; a great guesthouse.
- Brickyard Eco Retreat Quality lodgings close to Mùtiányù Great Wall.
- Zǎoxiāng Yard Simple but friendly family-run guesthouse, a 20-minute walk from the Wall.
- Gǔchéngbǎo Inn A 400-year-old building overlooking the gorgeous village of Chuāndǐxià.
- Jiāfú Bīnshè Courtyard hotel right next door to peaceful Tánzhè Temple.