Built from convict-made bricks, Sydney’s oldest church (1819) is widely considered to be architect Francis Greenway's masterpiece. It was originally designed as a courthouse, but the brief changed and the cells became the crypt. Check out the dark-wood choir loft, the sparkling copper dome, the crypt and the 1950s stained-glass ‘Creation Window’. It's worth reading the marble plaques along the walls for some insights into early colonial life and exploration. A more recent plaque commemorates Gough and Margaret Whitlam.
Classical concerts happen at 1.15pm on Wednesdays between March and December ($5 donation). See the website or call for details on daily services.