Greenland Warehouses

Historic Building in Western Canal Ring

The distinctive red-shuttered Greenland Warehouses were built in 1620. Whale oil was a sought-after ingredient for soap, lamp oil and paint, and wells here could hold 100,000L. Nowadays the warehouses contain chic apartments, but the facade is well maintained (despite the difficulties in painting it due to the saturation of whale oil that still remains).

Advertisement