When to go and weather
High Season (Dec–Mar)
- The Hill Country plus west- and south-coast beaches are busiest – and driest.
- With beds in demand, prices peak.
- The Maha monsoon season (October to January) keeps the East, North and ancient cities wet.
Shoulder (Apr & Sep–Nov)
- April and September offer the best odds for good weather countrywide.
- New Year’s celebrations in mid-April cause transport to fill beyond capacity.
- A good time to wander without a set schedule.
Low Season (May–Aug)
- The Yala monsoon season (May to August) brings rain to the south and west coasts plus the Hill Country.
- The weather in the North and East is best.
- Prices nationwide are lowest.