St Mary's Parish Church

Church in Haddington

Rising cathedral tall beside the River Tyne is St Mary's, the largest parish church in Scotland. Founded in 1380, the structure took nearly 100 years to complete – only to meet near ruin in the 1540s during the Siege of Haddington. After centuries as a partial ruin, it's now well and truly back to its former glory, with treasures including medieval carvings, an ornate 16th-century chapel and stained glass by Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones. Look out for free summer concerts.

Advertisement