When to go and weather
High Season (Jun–Aug)
- Dry season in Andean highlands and eastern rainforest.
- Best time for festivals and highland sports, including treks.
- Busiest time due to North American and European holidays.
Shoulder (Sep–Nov & Mar–May)
- Spring and fall weather in the highlands.
- Ideal for less-crowded visits.
- September to November for good rainforest trekking.
Low Season (Dec–Feb)
- Rainy season in the highlands.
- The Inca Trail closes during February for cleanup.
- High season for the coast and beach activities.
- Very rainy in the Amazon, lasting through May.