Chiesa di San Stae

Church in San Polo & Santa Croce

English painter William Turner painted San Stae obsessively, capturing early-morning Grand Canal mists swirling around the angels gracing its Palladian facade. The church was founded in 966 but finished in 1709, and though the interiors are surprisingly sparse for a baroque edifice, Giambattista Tiepolo’s The Martyrdom of St Bartholomew and Sebastiano Ricci’s The Liberation of St Peter are grace notes.

Advertisement