Inside Indonesia (www.insideindonesia.org) News and thoughtful features.
Jakarta Globe (www.thejakartaglobe.com) Top-notch national English-language newspaper.
Jakarta Post (www.thejakartapost.com) Indonesia’s original English-language daily.
Tiket.com (www.tiket.com) A convenient way for foreigners to purchase flights with their credit cards.
Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/indonesia) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
What to Take
- An emergency stash of cash for remote areas or when ATMs are down.
- Sunscreen and insect repellent (avoid aerosols which may be confiscated at airports); both are hard to find outside tourist areas.
- A set of earplugs for the mosque and traffic wake-up calls.
- A torch (flashlight).
- Photos of loved ones – even pets; they're amazing ice-breakers.
- A mental note to purchase a sarong – it's a fashion statement, blanket, beach mat, sheet, mattress cover, towel and shade from the pounding sun.
- Phone charger and adapter.