Holy Ghost Church

Church in Kula

Waiakoa’s hillside landmark, the octagonal Holy Ghost Church, was built in 1895 by Portuguese immigrants. The church features a beautifully ornate interior that looks like it came right out of the Old World, as indeed much of it did. The gilded altar was carved by renowned Austrian woodcarver Ferdinand Stuflesser and shipped in pieces around the Cape of Good Hope.

Advertisement