One of the city's grandest remnants of pre-Revolution Paris, Chapelle de la Val-de-Grâce was built in 1645 to celebrate the birth of Anne of Austria and King Louis XIII's first son after 23 years of childless marriage. Its beautiful, baroque dome is a joy to behold. After the revolution, in 1795, the 17th-century chapel and its surrounding royal abbey became a military hospital. A small museum in the original abbey cloister, the Musée du Service de Santé des Armées, explores its work.
Once a month music concerts are held in the chapel; check the website for schedules.