For sweeping bay views, climb to this historic Portuguese fort. Built in 1703 and rebuilt in 1822, its original purpose was to defend the gold passing through Paraty's port from pirate raids. The fort's small museum is closed indefinitely for remodeling, but the grounds remain open; just heed the cryptic signs warning against descending the steep slopes ('high index of accidents with oysters'!). It's 20 minutes north of town on Morro da Vila Velha (the hill past Praia do Pontal).