Built on a former flower garden in 1373, this important monastery enshrines the other half of the sacred Buddha relic that was transported by white elephant to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. The main chedi is a gilded, bell-shaped structure that rises dramatically above a sea of immaculate white memorial chedi honouring members of the Thai royal family, with the misty ridge of Doi Suthep soaring behind.
The hanger-like main wí·hăhn contains a huge standing Buddha statue that almost touches the ceiling. Take some time to wander the memorial garden of whitewashed chedi in front of the monastery, which contain the ashes of generations of Lanna royalty.
Mahachulalongkorn Buddhist University is located on the same grounds and foreigners often join the popular Monk Chat and English-language meditation retreats.