When to Go
High Season (Jul, Aug & Dec–Apr)
- In July and August walkers and cyclists hit high-altitude trails.
- Christmas and New Year see serious snow-sports action on the slopes.
- In ski resorts only, late December to early April is their high season.
Shoulder (Apr–Jun & Sep)
- Look for accommodation deals in ski resorts and traveller hot spots.
- Spring is idyllic, with warm temperatures, flowers and local produce.
- Watch the grape harvest in autumn.
Low Season (Oct–Mar)
- Mountain resorts go into snooze mode from mid-October to early December.
- Prices are up to 50% lower than in high season.
- Sights and restaurants are open fewer days and shorter hours.