Base E

Historic Site in Stonington Island

The UK’s Base E, established in 1945–46 and used until 1975, consists of two wooden huts and some steel-mesh dog pens. The larger, two-story hut served as sleeping quarters, while the smaller was a generator shed. A cross on the point commemorates two Britons who died while waiting out a storm in a snow-hole during a field trip in 1966.