Old Government House

Historic Building in City Centre & Britomart

Image by Borkus Design Studio Shutterstock

Built in 1856, this stately building was the colony's seat of power until 1865 when Wellington became the capital. The construction is unusual in that it's actually wooden but made to look like stone. It's now used by the University of Auckland, but feel free to wander through the lush gardens.

Advertisement