This orphanage and school was built in 1900 by Dr JA Graham, a Scottish missionary, to educate children of tea-estate workers, and now has 1300-odd students. There’s a museum that commemorates Graham and his wife, Katherine. The 1925 chapel above the school seems lifted straight out of a Scotland parish, with its grey slate, spire and fine stained-glass windows.
The gate is 4km up the steep KD Pradhan Rd. Many people charter a taxi to get here (₹150) and then do the downhill walk back to town via Tharpa Choling Gompa and the Himalayan Handmade Paper Industry workshop. Shared minivans (₹30) run sporadically from below One Cup cafe.