Rabdentse

Historic Site in Pelling

A few partially rebuilt wall-stubs are all that remains of the palace complex at Rabdentse, which was Sikkim's royal capital from 1670 until it was sacked by Nepali forces in the 18th century. Its main selling point today is the fabulous viewpoint on which the ruins are located, best photographed between a trio of small, bare-stone stupas.

The site's entrance gateway is 2.3km along the Geyzing road from Upper Pelling, 800m further east than the Pemayangtse turn-off. From the gate the ruins are 1km through woodland, passing a large new aviary area, and only accessible on foot.


Advertisement