Majestic Oru Castle was built in 1899 by notable St Petersburg businessman Grigory Yeliseyev, one of Russia's richest merchants. In 1935 it became the summer palace of the Estonian president but, sadly, it was completely destroyed during the war. Although the building is gone, the surrounding park remains one of Estonia's loveliest.
An avenue of mature trees leads to French-style landscaped gardens and the castle's surviving terrace, which offers views out to sea. Paths meander through the 75-hectare reserve, leading to a grotto with a freshwater spring, a viewing tower, a WWII graveyard and the beach.