This muscular mansion on Plaza Vieja's southwestern corner is one of the square's oldest, constructed in 1738 from local limestone in a transitional mudéjar-baroque style. Rich in period detail, it is typical of merchant houses of the era. For many years it was the residence of the exalted counts of Jaruco. Today it's the HQ of Cuba's main cultural foundation. It was being renovated at last visit.