Chilean peso (CH$)
Budget: Less than CH$25,000
- Dorm bed at a hostel: CH$8000–14,000
- Empanadas: CH$2000
- Bike-share rental: CH$5000
- Double room at a guesthouse or hostel: CH$23,000–50,000
- Lunch with fresh fruit juice at a cafe: CH$7000
- Museum visit: Free–CH$4500
- Short taxi trip: CH$5000
Top end: More than CH$75,000
- Double room at a boutique hotel: CH$75,000–200,000
- High-end dinner with a glass of wine: CH$20,000
- Night at the theater: CH$10,000
- Car rental: CH$33,000
Unlike some South American countries, bargaining is generally not the norm in Chile.
You're never far from an ATM in Santiago. Supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations and plain old street corners are all likely locations: look for the burgundy-and-white 'Redbanc' sign. Counterfeit currency does circulate in town; be especially wary of nonlicensed money changers.
Cambios Afex Reliable exchange office with branches around town.