Money and Costs
Budget: Less than CH$25,000
- Dorm bed at a hostel: CH$8000–14,000
- Empanadas: CH$2000
- Bike-share rental: CH$5000
- Double room at a guesthouse or hostel: CH$23,000–50,000
- Lunch with fresh fruit juice at a cafe: CH$7000
- Museum visit: Free–CH$4500
- Short taxi trip: CH$5000
Top end: More than CH$75,000
- Double room at a boutique hotel: CH$75,000–200,000
- High-end dinner with a glass of wine: CH$20,000
- Night at the theater: CH$10,000
- Car rental: CH$33,000
You're never far from an ATM in Santiago. Supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations and plain old street corners are all likely locations: look for the burgundy-and-white 'Redbanc' sign. Counterfeit currency does circulate in town; be especially wary of nonlicensed money changers.
Cambios Afex Reliable exchange office with branches around town.