Blauwbrug

Bridge in Southern Canal Ring

Built in 1884, this highly decorated stone bridge replaced an old, blue (hence the name) wooden crossing that had connected these shores of the Amstel since the 17th century. The current version was modelled on the Alexander III bridge in Paris, and features tall, ornate street lamps topped by the imperial crown of Amsterdam, fish sculptures and foundations shaped like the prow of a medieval ship.

Advertisement