Flights & getting there
The following airlines fly into New Caledonia. Air France flies code-share with Aircalin (Air Calédonie International). There are connecting flights all over the world with partner airlines, in particular, Air France.
Air France (www.airfrance.com)
Air New Zealand (www.airnewzealand.co.nz)
Air Vanuatu (www.airvanuatu.com)
Aircalin has direct flights to:
Australia Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
New Zealand Auckland
Japan Tokyo, Osaka
French Polynesia Papeete
Pacific Wallis, Futuna
Vanuatu Port Vila
Tontouta international airport is 45km northwest of Noumea. Get there by public bus or shuttle. Tontouta has the following services:
- ATMs and a currency exchange office (exchange currency on arrival before clearing customs)
- Tourist information office
- All the big rental car outlets.
There is no direct connection by public transport between Tontouta and the domestic airport (Magenta). Take a taxi or pre-arrange a shuttle.
An endless stream of cruise ships visit New Caledonia.
- Cruise ships dock at Noumea’s gare maritime (boat terminal).
- A tourist information booth and a market opens at gare maritime on 'cruise-ship days'.
- Ships also often stop at Lifou and Île des Pins.
- P&O (www.pocruises.com.au) has regular services.
New Caledonia welcomes thousands of yachties every year.
- All yachts arriving in New Caledonia should proceed to Port Moselle, Noumea. All entry formalities are now only handled in Noumea.
- Yachts are not permitted to stop or anchor anywhere in New Caledonian territorial waters before having visited Noumea and completed formalities.
- See www.noonsite.com for up-to-date details.
- Visit www.cruising-newcaledonia.com for a good cruising guide.