- Diya Bed & Breakfast Quiet, charity-run Paharganj B&B with three lovely rooms and a leafy roof terrace.
- Madpackers Hostel The best hostel in Delhi.
- Haveli Dharampura Beautifully restored haveli (traditional courtyard home) that's full of Mughal flavour.
- Lutyens Bungalow A rambling colonial-style bungalow with charming hosts.
- Imperial Regal in every way.
By Budget: $
- Madpackers Hostel Only let down by its out-of-the-way location, this is Delhi's best hostel.
- GoStops Another cool hostel, on the fringes of Old Delhi.
- Backpacker Panda Paharganj's best hostel is a little on the small side, but ideal for plugging into the India-travel scene.
- Wongdhen House The best-value digs amongst a host of budget guesthouses in Delhi's Tibetan enclave.
- Jugaad Hostel Urban-chic South Delhi dorms.
By Budget: $$
- Diya Bed & Breakfast Peaceful Paharganj B&B with three lovely rooms, a leafy roof terrace and a family welcome.
- Hotel Broadway Delhi's first-ever 'high-rise' hotel is a charming throwback with friendly staff and a great restaurant.
- Bed & Chai French-run South Delhi guesthouse with spacious rooms and dorms and a cute roof terrace.
- Harry's Bed & Breakfast Beautifully decorated family home with huge rooms and a quiet Gurgaon location.
- Hotel Godwin Deluxe OK rooms are comfortable enough, but wow, what a staircase!
By Budget: $$$
- Haveli Dharampura A taste of Mughal India in this beautifully restored Old Delhi haveli (traditional courtyard home).
- Imperial Live like a king in this sumptuous 1930s heritage hotel, just off Connaught Place.
- Lutyens Bungalow Charming, family-run, Raj-era bungalow, with rooms set around a rambling garden.
- Bnineteen As good looking as you'd expect from an architect-owned guesthouse, and with views over Humayun’s Tomb
- Lodhi The only hotel rooms in Delhi with their own private pools. Pure luxury.
- Haveli Dharampura A beautifully restored haveli (traditional courtyard residence), secreted away in an Old Delhi backstreet.
- Imperial Palatial splendour throughout at Delhi's finest luxury hotel.
- Lutyens Bungalow Slip back in time to an era of colonial elegance, charming hosts, and tea and gossip on the veranda.
- Hotel Broadway Endearingly old-fashioned and as friendly as ever – and with a great restaurant to boot.
- Diya Bed & Breakfast Like a quiet South Delhi guesthouse, but in the heart of buzzing Paharganj.
- Backpacker Panda Great hostel, right on Main Bazaar and a stone's throw from the metro.
- Haveli Dharampura Beautifully restored haveli (traditional courtyard home) hidden down a crazy maze of Old Delhi alleyways.
- Hotel Aiwan-e-Shahi An otherwise-average hotel, but with unrivalled views of the Jama Masjid.
For Hotel Food
- Hotel Broadway Fabulous Kashmiri food in quirky attached restaurant, Chor Bizarre.
- Haveli Dharampura Sumptuous Mughal dishes served in its courtyard restaurant, Lakhori.
- Imperial Is there anything more genteel than high tea at the Imperial's Atrium Cafe?
- Lodhi Privately-run Indian Accent, one of Delhi's top gourmet restaurants, is within Lodhi's grounds.
For Peace & Quiet
- Harry's Bed & Breakfast Splendid family home in a quiet Gurgaon suburb.
- Lutyens Bungalow Sip tea from the veranda and chat with your charming hosts about times gone by.
- Bnineteen Wonderfully designed, architect-owned guesthouse, with views over Humayun’s Tomb from its rooftop.
- Colonel’s Retreat Elegant, marble-floored guesthouse in the affluent, tree-shaded Defence Colony district.
- Diya Bed & Breakfast Paharganj's quietest option.