Money and Costs
Budget: Less than US$100
- Double room in budget hotel: US$40–80
- Street-food snack: US$3–8
- Bus ticket: US$1–3
- Beer at local bar: US$1.50
- Double room in midrange hotel: US$80–200
- Two-course dinner for two: US$50
- Taxi transfer Douglas–Charles Airport to Roseau: US$30
- Rum punch in beach bar: US$5–7
Top end: More than US$250
- Double room in top-end hotel: from US$200
- Three-course gourmet dinner with wine: US$100
- Guided hike to Boiling Lake: US$65
Prices in shops are fixed, but it may be possible to get a small discount at markets and from souvenir vendors.
Most businesses now accept credit cards, but you shouldn't rely on that.
ATMs dispense Eastern Caribbean dollars but are scarce outside of Roseau and Portsmouth. There is no ATM at either airport at present, so bring cash.
Unless prices rates are posted in US dollars, as is usual with accommodations, it usually works out better to use EC dollars. If you pay in US dollars you will normally get change in EC dollars.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com
- Hotels US$0.50 to US$1 per bag is standard; gratuity for cleaning staff is at your discretion.
- Restaurants If the service charge is not automatically included in the bill, tip 10% to 15%; if it is, it's up to you to leave a small additional tip.
- Taxi Tip 10% to 15% of the fare.
Eastern Caribbean dollar (EC$); US dollars widely accepted