Jesuitenkirche

Church in Stephansdom & the Historic Centre

Image by Carly Hulls Lonely Planet

Opposite Dr-Ignaz-Seipel-Platz is the Jesuitenkirche, formerly the university church, which dates from 1627. In 1703 this church received a baroque makeover by the Italian architect and painter Andrea Pozzo (1642–1709), who created its startling trompe-l’œil dome and other ceiling frescoes. Walk beyond the ‘dome’ to visually destroy Pozzo’s illusion. The crypt is the resting place of Austrian ethicist and author P Johannes Schasching (1917–2013); it's open from 2pm to 7pm on Sundays from September to July.

Advertisement