Garrison Church

Church in Circular Quay & The Rocks

Also known as Holy Trinity (1843), this pretty sandstone Anglican church at the western end of the Argyle Cut was the colony’s first military church. Below a dark timber ceiling, the hushed interior is all stained glass and venerable regimental flags. Australia’s first prime minister, Edmund Barton, went to school here (the parish hall doubled as a schoolhouse).

Advertisement