Grand Central Arcade

Landmark in Pioneer Square, International District & SoDo

This lovely meeting point was originally Squire’s Opera House, erected in 1879. When the Opera House was destroyed in the Great Fire, it was rebuilt as the Squire-Latimer Building in 1890 and later became the Grand Central Hotel. The hotel closed during the Depression, but it underwent a major restoration in the 1970s and now contains two floors of shops, including the excellent Grand Central Baking Co. The facade that faces Occidental Park is covered in creeping ivy.

Advertisement