Budget: Less than €120
- Dorm bed €13–33
- A burger or frites dinner €8–15
- Water-taxi ride €4.50
- Double room from €100
- Evening meal in a bistro €35
- Museum ticket €17
Top end: More than €250
- Luxurious hotel double room from €180
- Dinner in top restaurant with drinks from €80
- Guided architecture tour €30
With the exception of the odd haggle at flea markets, little bargaining goes on in the Netherlands.
ATMs are widely available; some businesses don't accept credit or debit cards issued outside the Netherlands. A growing number of businesses don't accept cash payments.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
The Dutch do tip, but modestly and not always.
- Hotel porters €1 to €2
- Restaurants round up, or 5%
If you see a 'PIN only' sign, it signifies that the business doesn't accept cash payments. Be warned that it may not accept credit or debit cards issues outside the Netherlands, either.