Parque La Merced

Plaza in Ibarra

Also known as Peñaherrera, the city’s main plaza was built at the beginning of the 19th century. The main feature of the Iglesia de la Merced is a gold-leaf-covered altar for the Virgen de la Merced, patron saint of the armed forces. The church holds a special mass in remembrance of the victims and survivors of the devastating 1868 earthquake.

Advertisement