Museo el Templete

Museum in Habana Vieja

This museum is housed in the tiny neoclassical Doric chapel on the east side of Plaza de Armas, and was erected in 1828 at the point where Havana's first Mass was held beneath a ceiba tree in November 1519. A similar ceiba tree has now replaced the original. Inside the chapel are three large paintings of the event by French painter Jean Baptiste Vermay (1786–1833).

Advertisement