Half of the unofficial First McDonald's Museum has exhibits devoted to Route 66, with particularly interesting photographs and maps. It was first opened as a barbecue restaurant in 1940 by brothers Dick and Mac McDonald. Eventually Ray Kroc bought the rights to the name and built an empire. Today, the building is owned by Albert Okura, founder of the Juan Pollo chain of chicken shacks.