Atsion Mansion

Historic Building in Pine Barrens

This 14-room Greek Revival–style mansion along the Mullica River has been restored to its 1826 glory (no running water or central heat!). Samuel Richards, a Philadelphia ironmaster and operator of the Atsion furnace, owned the home until his death in 1842; eventually James Wharton became the owner, using it for packing and storing cranberries. The state bought the mansion in 1955.

Advertisement