Notre-Dame de la Salette

Church in St-Leu

The little white chapel of Notre-Dame de la Salette, perched on the side of the hill to the east of town, was built in 1859 as a plea for protection against the cholera epidemic sweeping the entire island. Whether by luck or divine intervention, St-Leu was spared from the epidemic, and thousands of pilgrims come here each year on 19 September to offer their thanks.

Advertisement